Saturday, June 14, 2014

Cleaning Your Makeup Brushes

I'm a makeup girl. I love wearing makeup. I may not be an expert or a professional makeup artist by any means, but I've learned a bit from playing around with makeup for quite a few years. Although I have always had a fairly large makeup collection.. It wasn't until recently that I finally acquired the proper tools to use it all. For years I was using brushes from The Dollar Tree and the cheap applicators/brushes and sponges that come with a lot of products (not very effective...)

And because I now have good quality makeup brushes (most are from Coastal Scents btw).. I needed to learn how to clean them. This is the best method that I have found.

  • Set down a towel... this may get messy
  • Mix together 1 cup warm water, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1 tablespoon dish detergent (I used Ajax) and 1/2 tablespoon baby shampoo
  • Fill another bowl/cup/whatever with warm water


  • Give each brush a good swirl in the soapy water. I like to wipe them on a paper towel to make sure all the product is off, and if not, put them back in the soapy water. I also let some of the brushes sit in the water a bit if they are very dirty. 
  • Once they are clean, rinse them in the clean water, reshape them, and lay them on the towel to dry.


I do the smaller brushes first since they tend to not dirty the water very much. I will usually change both the soapy water and clean water when I get to my foundation and powder brushes since they are a lot dirtier than the others..

Usually this works perfectly for my makeup brushes, but I do give my foundation brushes some extra TLC since they are very stubborn and never seem to be clean enough.


I put a bit of face wash (I'm using Neutrogena naturals) in my palm, wet the brush, and just swirl the brush in my hand, then rinse. Sometimes I will do this multiple times...but when I deem that they are clean I again reshape them and lay them out to dry.


And there you have it! Clean makeup brushes!
Just let them dry and they are ready to dirty again!

No comments:

Post a Comment